Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Not-Damask-Bride

The way I see it, damask is the undisputed champion of weddings these days. Wedding blogs are full of inspiration for the "damask bride". I have to admit, I love the idea of damask. It's romantic, it provides a theme and central focus to the wedding, and gives texture to the decor. However, I have a problem with jumping on this bandwagon. It just seems done.After deciding on the white and navy blue colour scheme, I began searching for inspiration. I had this idea in my head to find navy and white striped table cloths. I didn't manage to find any, but I did find this:



This is Toile de Jouy and according to wikipedia:

"Toile de Jouy, sometimes abbreviated to simply "toile", is a type of decorating pattern consisting of a usually white or off-white background on which a repeated pattern depicting a fairly complex scene, generally of a pastoral theme such as (for example) a couple having a picnic by a lake. Toiles also often consists of an arrangement of flowers. The pattern portion consists of a single colour, most often black, dark red, or blue. Greens, browns and magenta toile patterns are less common but not unheard of. Toile is most associated with fabrics (curtains and upholstery in particular), though toile wallpaper is also popular."I love it! I love that it's 17th century France, I love that it's pastoral, that it's floral, and that it depicts love! I am going to use it as an accent throughout the wedding. My mom said using this pattern for table cloths might be a bit much :P

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it might be a "bit much" to use this fabric as tablecloths, but it would make a lovely table square or runner! Or maybe you could incorporate some china with a similar pattern in your centerpieces. :]

    ReplyDelete