Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hate: Wedding Dress Trends

My last post was all about trends that I love and want to incorporate into my perfect gown. I am going to dedicate this post to dress elements that I hate.

Now as a disclaimer, I must express that this is my opinion only, and I am in no way judging anyone who loves these styles. I am not Tim Gunn, so my opinion has no real meaning, and should not be taken seriously.

So, wedding dress trends that I hate, in no particular order:
1. Strapless
I don't think a picture is necessary here. I don't want to be pulling up my dress all night long. My 85 year old, WWII surviving grandmother would not survive being flashed by me.

2. Colour (Yes, with a "u", I am Canadian after all)
I really am not jumping on the coloured wedding dress bandwagon. See this beautiful and very popular dress from Alfred Angelo? I hate it.

3. Pick-ups

Do you remember those dolls that had giant skirts that you could invert and turn into a cupcake? Let me jog your memory:


Well, to me, if you took a dress with pick-ups, like this one from Mary's Bridal, and lifted it over your head, you might just turn into a delicious dessert!


4. Bows/Flowers

I'm a simple kind of girl, and think that on most dresses bows, flowers, and sashes are just overkill. Unless a dress is really simple, I don't think that it should be ruined by over-accessorizing.

6. See-through dresses
I am a big fan of "Say Yes to the Dress", but every time a bride comes in and spends over 20 thousand dollars on a see-through Pnina, I cringe a little. I must say, some of her designs are absolutely gorgeous (and I wish that I could afford them). I just think that the tradition of a "virginal bride", although outdated, deserves to be honoured (that "u" again) and acknowledged by a semi-modest dress.

Once again, these are strictly trends that will not be present in my dress. I hope that I didn't offend anyone, and that you take my comments with a grain of salt. What wedding dress trends do you hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment