Monday, June 22, 2009

Love: Wedding Dress Trends

Those who know me realize how important the dress is to me. I LOVE dresses, and I wear them a lot. I have had the opportunity to wear many a fancy dress, and I feel the most beautiful when I am wearing one. Suffice it to say, I am very intent on finding the perfect dress for our wedding. Having a two year engagement ensured that I have a lot of time to do my research, and I am very diligent about it. Here are some dress trends that I LOVE:

1. Mermaid Silhouettes

This one isn't exactly a shocker, but I love the mermaid/trumpet style gown. Not only is this style sexy and classic all at the same time, but I think that it will accentuate my very particular set of curves.

Beautiful example of a mermaid by Perla D

and a trumpet by Anne Barge

2. Lace Dresses that seem as light as air

Lace is not new to the bridal world, but I'm not talking about traditional bridal lace, which is very stiff, and can be quite heavy. I'm talking about dresses that are composed of lace so soft that they seem "frothy"




Both dresses are by Alita Graham



By the oh-so-romantic Claire Pettibone

and Jim Hjelm


3. Tulle!

I love, love, love this trend! Although tulle and the mermaid don't often mix, I love how soft and romantic this material is. I think that it is a modern alternative for the romantic gal that wants to look like a princess on her wedding day.

I love this combination of bling and tulle by Pnina Tornai


David Fielden

The ultimate princess dress by Edgardo Bonilla


4. Interesting Necklines (Alternate Title: Anything But Strapless!)

I am not a fan of strapless dresses for several reasons. First of all, I hate having to pull up my dress because I am worried about the girls falling out. Second, I think that this has been a huge trend in wedding dresses for too long, and it's time for something new. Lastly, and this is a point that is perhaps more important than any of the others: I have football player shoulders * and find that strapless dresses highlight that :P


Here are some examples of designers who are going against the strapless dress trend:

Badgley Mischka


Jenny Lee


Jim Hjelm



Pnina Tornai


and Justin Alexander

(if I was having a winter wedding, I would totally rock this dress!)

Now, I realize that I cannot afford any of these dresses. This is completely a fantasy post. However, I have no doubt that some of these elements will find their way into my dress purchase. The perfect dress is out there, and I cannot wait to find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment