Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Babcia

Today is my Babcia's birthday. Happy Birthday Babcia!

My Babcia is the most wonderful, courageous, and inspiring woman that I have ever met. She survived WWII in Poland, where she was imprisoned in a Nazi work camp. After the war, she walked home from the camp....it took her several weeks. Despite that, she managed to raise 6 kids, 4 of which would eventually move to Canada. Despite the distance, and the fact that most women her age would be terrified to get on a plane, she has traveled to Canada more than a dozen times.

This is a picture of my aunt, my Babcia and me taken when I visited Poland this summer:


I am ashamed to say that this is the only picture that I took with my dear Babcia. I only saw her for one weekend and was too busy listening to family stories to think about grabbing my camera.

Anyway, my Babcia has promised to make it to Canada for our wedding next year. Nothing would make me happier than to have her with me on that day. We have a very special relationship, and along with my mama and sister, she is one of the most important women in my life.

Nevertheless, my Babcia is 86 today, and even though she is in very good health, I realize that at her age things could change by next summer. She might not be able to make the long and exhausting journey to Canada. She also realizes this, and so when we said good bye this summer, she gave both Matthew and me a wedding present, "just in case". My Babcia is very religious, so she gave both of us rosaries. Here is mine:


I would like to carry this rosary with me on my wedding day, and I think wrapping it around the stems of my flowers would be the perfect way to do that. I'm thinking something like this image on the left:


Since I plan on wearing gold and pearl jewelry, I think that this will be a perfect little detail for my flowers.

How are you planning to ensure that long distance loved ones are a part of your wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment